Recently, I was head hunted on LinkedIn and asked to apply for a costume related department head job at a large theme park opening in another country. The duties were similar to what I do now, between my work on concert tours and at Universal Theme Parks. I was later told, I was “overqualified” AND that they didn’t think they could “afford” me. I was initially shocked by these two labels and their perception of me, based on the work I’ve done so far.
There are times when other people’s opinions matter and times when they don’t. (For me that’s MOST of the time!!) In this particular case, it inspired me to realize, it was time to reach higher and raise my price tag.
There are some interesting dynamics going on in the entertainment industry right now. High fashion is becoming the trend on a lot of concert tours with Beyonce leading the charge on that, in a way I’ve never seen before. Meanwhile, costumes are having a huge influence on fashion, as evidenced by the now mega industry of cosplay with “cons” popping up everywhere. It has become hard for me to keep myself grounded on one side of the fence or the other. I’ve had to learn how to balance two very different animals to earn a living. Quite frankly, I don’t know of anyone besides myself, who has both the experience (in fashion, concert tour, theme park, theater and costumes) and flexibility I have. All of my mentors and top go to people are tied down to running a traditional brick and mortar type business, where as, I am not. Becoming Mobile and ready, willing and able to travel, caters to a very underserved clientele. I can literally fit everything I need to work with, into my 2 seat, hatch back sports car (including a full size garment rack, dress form, sewing machine, serger and suitcase full of supplies with room to spare) and be on the scene in a matter of hours. (Putting all of that stuff on a plane for a short gig is a literal and logistical pain in the arse, half of it would get confiscated by security and the rest would be at risk for being damaged or lost. Some of my clients really don’t even know what they need to get the job done, but Psycho Seamstress just sounds like the perfect solution!!) After assessing the situation, I can make a few phone calls and have an entire crew, locked, loaded and ready to rock and roll.
January 2016: Matrix Destination, Grand Finale Fashion Show, Orlando, FL
- to create several last minute dresses to coordinate with some over the top hairstyles needed for the avant garde fashion show in less than 3 days. Challenge Accepted
- In order to execute this seemingly impossible task, I stayed on location for the next 3 days to work with Renato and his NYC team and coordinated everything he needed, from shopping for specialty fabrics with my local discounts, providing sewing related equipment, materials and supplies, coordinating off site specialty services and finding a 24 hour pattern maker, runner and sewing team, who had their own mobile equipment and could come and work with us onsite.
- I accomplished all of the above, while sewing one of the dresses myself and helping on multiple others.
“The fabulous opportunity to work with Gina for NYC designer, Renato Dicent to create avant-garde wardrobes for the Matrix Destinations’ Grand Finale Fashion Show in Florida was one of the most incredible opportunities in my life! Gina is an amazing, skillfully, creatively talented and enthusiastic person. We were a great buddy in the creative team to make many avant-garde dresses with a super tight deadline. Gina fast became a key person in creation, the sublime show would not happen without her. I was honored to work with Gina and hope from the bottom of my heart to work together again. I can’t say how much I am looking forward to seeing her phenomenal future in the creative world!”– Sho Konishi, Fashion Designer, www.sho-konishi.com
April 2016: Beyonce Formation World Tour, Onsite Costume Fabrication, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
- Due to my extensive database of local sewing talent, I was asked to assemble a team of several local pattern makers and stitchers, who had mobile equipment and could work on location for 3 weeks consecutively.
- We provided onsite alterations, costume rigging, fashion to costume conversions, pattern making and fabrication on hundreds of costumes for this tour.
- I was featured in Beyoncé’s Behind The Scenes “BTS Formation World Tour (Fashion)” Video, which she posted on YouTube and Facebook, where I was interviewed about what we were doing to convert her high end fashions to costumes at about the 1:20 mark.
Here’s the link for that… Beyonce BTS Formation World Tour Fashion Video
“Gina continues to be our go-to supplier and resource for all things costume related. Her experience in A-List wardrobe maintenance and design is extensive. Gina has sewing / textile / accessory resources across the country making her a “one stop shop” for assistance no matter where our clients are located within the USA. If you want to make one call and solve all your costuming / wardrobe / apparel needs then Gina is the call to make.”
– Megan Duckett, Founder and President, Sew What? | Rent What?, Rancho Dominguez, CA
June 2016: Microsoft Corporate Event, Amway Center, Orlando, FL
- Shop for and tailor to fit, a man’s suit for their EVP onsite, so he would not have to leave his hotel suite.
- Put together a mobile design and sewing team to fabricate costumes onsite, to be worn by their keynote speakers during an event at Amway Center.
- I stayed onsite for 5 days to design, shop, fabricate, coordinate outside services and overall manage this project, which culminated in making final adjustments to costumes, moments before they hit the stage, all executed under their initial budget allocations.
Other Projects I consult on:
- Concept Design & Illustration by Award Winning CDG Talent
- Fabrication Estimates & Options from FL to NY to LA
- Sourcing or Creating Custom Fabrics & Materials to fit any theme
- Off The Rack Wardrobe Options
- Wardrobe Styling and Personal Shopping for Top Executives & Celebrities Worldwide
- Rental Costume Options
- Wardrobe Crew Coordinator for Touring, On Location or Head Of Wardrobe jobs worldwide
“I am Alex Lorre…(film) producer belonging to (Hollywood) Union. I recently had the pleasure of working with Gina for nearly a year on a very high budget Space Horror Film script. She vetted award winning costume designers, the worlds largest fabricator of space suits, researched production houses, rental costume options and helped us create an archive of futuristic costume design concepts, high tech and cutting edge fabric samples and more. She is relentlessly ambitious and it would be my pleasure to have her on my team in the future. She is a pleasure to work with. I would rank her as one of the best Costume designers we had in our previous projects. Gina is the type of person you want leading from the front. Furthermore, she is what I consider to be a “hard charger”. She outshines her peers in whatever she chooses to accomplish. Gina has always impressed me as a bright, articulate, enthusiastic, reliable person. Should you have any questions regarding working with Gina please feel free to contact me at email@example.com”– Alex Lorre – Hollywood Actor, Stuntman, Producer
“Let me say that working with Gina on past projects has been a pleasure. Gina has proven to be very reliable, talented and extremely knowledgeable in her craft. She would be a valuable asset to any project. I not only recommend her, but I would hire her again with out reservation.”– George Catalano – Florida Stunt Man, Actor, Film Maker, TopCat Film Productions
“Working with Gina is an experience. She definitely raises the bar on any project she is involved with. You can plan on being blown away by her work. It will exceed your expectations, many times over. I hope she is available for all my projects.”
High End Repair and Restoration Coordinator
- on tour with valuable fashions or costumes you need repaired while on the road
- a museum, cafe, attraction or otherwise display historical and memorabilia costumes or fashion
- have a valuable private collection in need of repair or restoration
- High risk of causing further damage by moving said items
- High Cost of Security or Insurance Expense to move
- travel world wide to where these items are located
- professionally photograph and document the issues in question
- provide a written report and recommendation for possible solutions
- provide a list of qualified repair experts, who can travel to or be retained
- or possibly repair the items onsite, myself
Wardrobe Stylist / Fashion and BTS Blogger
Once I started working for celebrities, behind the scenes, having influence on and making decisions about things that would be seen on film, stage, runway or at events, designers started sending me fashion and accessories to use, wear and or asking me to give them away to people of influence in their target market.
- Kent Stetson Handbags
- Shirl Clark Collections
- Beltatude by Karen West
- Ava Corsetry
- Artsy Man Art Wear
Speaking and Teaching Engagements
- You can support me here by ordering a copy for as little as $10
- You can book me through this indiegogo funding campaign for a limited time for speaking or teaching engagements, or just have dinner with me to pick my brain.